Caley at Fave Crafts contacted some of us who have contributed to the site about trying out some Tulip fabric dye products. When she asked me if I want interested I thought “Heck, yea!” I love trying out new things and finding ways to make something that I might not normally buy work for me. Then after I said yes I thought…is this a good idea with a toddler around?? Yes, I questioned my sanity. Thankfully, I roped Liz into coming over with her son. It was like killing two birds with one stone – Brice and Colin could play and Liz and I could work on the project.
Only that didn’t go quite as planned. Brice decided he was going to be cranky all day. I’m just hoping it’s because he’s teething and not because he’s coming down with something. I just don’t do well on these kind of days. Especially when I have fabric dye on the table and he comes along and pulls on the plastic liner with the fabric dye on it! But that’s beside the point of this post.
So once I knew the dye would be coming I had to think of something I wanted to do with it. I knew that I wasn’t going to be tie-dying a shirt. That just isn’t my kind of craft. But I knew I could come up with something fun. I surfed around their eBook for some ideas and was immediately drawn to the fabric painting. That then reminded me about Amy Karol doing fabric painting her her Bend the Rules with Fabric book. It was a water colored effect and I had REALLY liked the quilt she made when I saw it in person. So I had my project.
Liz and I got busy mixing dyes (and getting our hands stained – oops!) and whipped out the Jacquard resist I picked up. Liz went first to test the waters. She drew right on the fabric with the resist. We then took out a blow dryer to dry it out a little faster and then she began painting. But you’ll have to wait to see her posts for photos of her projects.
After we decided to work on my project, we decided to try something's differently. After we both came up with the idea to have me do falling leaves, I grabbed a water soluble pen and drew out my leaves. Then I traced over those with the resist.
Once we had it dried, I spritzed it with water and started painting, just as you would with watercolors. The results are amazing! I love how you can blend the colors together and not have the bulk of a paint on the fabric.
I tossed it in the washer and dryer tonight and couldn’t be more pleased. (I didn’t heat set it with the iron first, I forgot. So Liz will have to let us know how that goes.) I did apply the paint pretty heavily on most of the leaves, but a LOT of the dye washed out…partially because that’s what’s going to happen, and partially because I didn’t wrap it in plastic and let it sit for the recommended time. But that was kind of hard to do with this project. I am so excited to do this again and hope to get to a few more small projects this weekend. …and of course get this quilted!